Thursday, September 22, 2005

The baby is good.

She's so good. She's better than me at dealing with things... like needles full of diseases jammed in her thighs. Granted she did cry throughout the jabbing, but she quieted right down once in Daddy's arms. I hadn't really thought much about it and then later I started reading about other peoples babies reactions to these shots at such a young age. Then I began to read more and the fretting ensued. I do tend to over think any things that I really shouldn't be thinking about all that much. Like whether or not library patrons like me or the overwhelming anxiety of putting the baby in her carseat and driving anywhere. It's a race against the clock, and I had a hard enough time going anywhere before I had Iris and now it is much worse. The funny thing is that once in the car I get this giddy, dizzy feeling where I feel like I want to go on a long drive. ( providing I don't have to make left turns onto a busy street or go anywhere I have not already driven previously with someone else with me in the car.) (yeah.. issues... I know) It feels like I'm flying and I think.. I could go to this store and that store but then once I'm in these store I can't concentrate on looking at anything for me. I spend some time looking at baby items but there's this awful nagging feeling to hurry up and get home. Home... where there is no anxiety of running out of time. Instead, at home there is the monotony of taking care of an infant. Feed baby (1/2 hour-45 minutes) , change baby and play (15 minutes-1/2 hour) , set baby down or hold baby in attempt to get her to sleep (1 1/2 hours). Repeat. Every 2.5 hours I begin to feed the baby again. I like to do it, it's the only thing that never fails to calm her but it makes getting anything done really hard. She's so precious though. She was so great all yesterday. I tried to give her extra cuddles and love so she didn't think that the pain and fever she probably felt didn't make her think we were bad people. She always sleeps really well on my chest which consequently makes me want to sleep as well. Something about that little, warm body and the rhythm of her breathing. Precious. Those are the things I really want to remember. That and the way she raises her eyebrow just like her Momma.

So, 24 hours after the shots she still totally fine. I guess her immune system is doing well. Clearly too this breastmilk stuff does a body good since she was 11lbs 14oz at nine weeks old! That's two ounces away from TWELVE POUNDS! That's over 2 pounds in a month! Still in the 90th percentile for height and weight for babies her age. *beams.




She has just started really grabbing things. Mostly just at my skin or my shirt when I'm feeding her. She doesn't cry a whole lot and really is mostly a joy to be around. She mimics facial expressions and MAN! The huge smile on her face when she realizes we are mimicking her back is sure a reason to get out of bed in the morning. It sure makes me forget about the gut-wrenching nausea and anxiety of those first weeks at home with a baby for the first time.

<< Home