Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The new car bad luck.

When I bought my first car, shortly after leaving my husband and moving in with my Mom, I was very excited. The first day of it being mine I went out to drive to work and discovered that my brake light was dangling out of its case in the rear window and that the top part of the shifter thing ( that's a technical term right?) was off of its stick. The light popped back into its case, and the shifter handle popped back onto the shifter. No harm done, and I don't recall either happening again.

That was in May 2001. Fast forward 4 years. Divorced, sold car, moved to the US, remarried, buy house, get pregnant and finally buy second ever car. Saturday, filled with new car high, so anxious to get plates etc and relearn how to drive. ( It has been 3 years!) Chris assures me that no one will tow my car away for not having plates. He will go get them some time during his time at work and put them on when he gets home.

I set off a little early, it is the day after a long weekend and the book drop at work overfloweth. I pull over a block and a half from the Library deciding if I want to just go park in the lot. (We aren't supposed to, except after 5pm.) I decide that since I'm pregnant and my car doesn't have plates that I should park in the lot. I pull away and go in the lot. I pick a spot in the far corner further away from the library and I leave a spot between me and andother car just incase I forgot how to park straight. I am nearly all the way in to the space when I hear an awful sound like something falling out of place. I turn the car off and step out to see what was going on. I herd the hissing immediately and knew from a previous flat tire that something had punctured the tire. So, there was this 4 ft long piece of aluminum rod with a "T" at one end wrapped around the wheel well. I am upset, thinking about the previous new-car-bad-luck. I call Chris and ask him to stop by on his way to work to look at it. He arrives and gives me hugs as I burst into hormonal tears because I have a flat tire. He gave me the number for roadside assistance and then heads off to work. I called road side assistance and spent ages on hold then ages answering questions only to be told that because I did not have plates on the car that they would not be able to come help me. This was followed by another call to Chris in tears about how they wouldn't come fix the car. Blah blah blah. Chris went early to get the plates for the truck and brought them just in time for me to be done work. Called teh roadside place back and they came ( 45 minutes later) We found out he couldn't put the spare on because I'm missing some key to unlock the tire from the truck ( it's underneath) so we get towed to a tire place just a few blocks down on Main st. Thankfully the puncture was in the tread and could be repaired. This meant that we spent $12.50 instead of like $200 for a new one. Chris didn't go back to work. We went for some lunch, in our separate cars. The I went and pumped my own gas for the first time in years! ( I love pay at the pump).

My car makes odd noises when I make hard right or left turns. I'm not worried yet.

Sorry it was SO long and probably boring, but wow was it ever traumatic for me. I was so distracted at work and ugh.. it was just an awful start to the day.

<< Home