Tuesday, January 18, 2005

another day... then BAM

I was well rested. Went to bed early enough, the alarm didn't startle me, I just got up. Except for waking up and wondering if Chris forgot to turn the heat down over night because I was so HOT. ( he did I found out later, so the only explanation is.. I'm hot.) ( heh)

I went directly from bed to the shower where I felt breathless and light headed. Afterwards I had to rest on my bed before I got dressed. Weird... I wonder if that's a pregnancy thing or what.

Work was insane. I always open tuesday mornings, tuesday mornings after a holiday monday are pure um... fun. Books and AV materials were piled at tall as I was, plus a cart full of videos. Luckily my superviser helps out on days like that, so the back-dating was done by the time I left. I didn't even get to look inside any of the interloan bins.

After I finish at the library on Tuesday, I go to the Opera House to volunteer in the afternoon. This always begins by Shawna ( the director) and I going out for lunch. I mentioned that Chris wasn't going to his granfather's funeral in Florida. She said that we would be going to a funeral sooner than either of us had thought. She then proceeded to tell me that Jim had died.

Jim is another opera house volunteer. He started at about the same time I did. We went to the same box office training. Then, when I got a job at the library and had to work every other Friday and couldn't do those friday box offices Jim started doing them. Jim was 64 ( I think), twice divorced and a confirmed bachelor. He was always available on short notice if we needed extra help at the O.H. He had two kids, he liked to go to vegas and reno. He was over there at his Aunt's when he passed. I have a note in my planner that Jim can't work Friday the 21st cause he wouldn't be home from his trip yet. He was the happy bachelor uncle I never had, always with a story to share. We would talk about classic cars that we both liked so much. It is so strange that he won't be there to chat with when I arrive at the O.H. after I finish at the library.

Needless to say when Shawna said that I was confused. What? NO... as if it was joke. Then I started to cry... Our gruff waitress sure looked concerned when I paid our check. No one close to me has ever died before. My grandparents were all dead before I was born and then when my great and and uncle died a few years apart it had been so long since I had seen them that it was all a lot more distanced. Now this... a preson that was a friend, with notice at all. I don't even think he was sick. It's hard.

Anyway. R.I.P. Jim Hoverson. You will be missed.

~later

<< Home