Thursday, October 27, 2005

"If anything should happen to me...

sue Nestle." That's what Chris said to me at around 4:30am when we were up feeding the baby. I guess he grabbed a bottle of water in the dark and took the cap off and drank.. and it was empty way sooner than it should have been. I laughed, Oh.. the machine probably didn't stay still long enough to fill it.. I'm sure it's fine. Then, it went out of my head. We went back to sleep and Chris got up for work after hitting the snooze button the usual three times. I slept longer, getting up briefly to get the baby from her crib and bring her into bed with me to get an extra hour of sleep. I ended up getting up for good around 9:30 and feed the baby.

We were about done when I heard footsteps on the stairs. I had a moment of panic where wondered whether it was Chris or some sociopath coming to kill us. Then I decided that a sociopath would try and be quieter on the stairs so I would be caught unaware. Lucky, or unlucky for me it was Chris. Home, on a Wednesday at just after 10am. Odd. He was coming home early today anyway because I had to work for someone and I needed him to watch the baby. That wasn't supposed to be until 2:30 or so though. So... What's up? I ask...

"I got canned."

"What?"

"Yeah."

"No?"

And so it went... My husband, employee extrordinaire was fired from his job just shy of his three year anniversary with the company. Happy fucking anniversary Mr. Bukrey! Thank you for your service. No warning, no reason.

I'm trying to be positive. It's an opportunity and all that, because really it can be. Right!? I busied myself hunting for employment lawyers on the internet and job links for local companies and sending them to Chris. It's all I can do. It sort of staves off the helpless feeling I have. Although, when I phoned the clinic to see if I could get Iris in to the doctor early and I said I had to because we only had insurance till Monday the words caught in my throat.

This morning at 4:30 while I was feeding the baby Chris handed me a fresh bottle of water and then he laid down on the floor to nap till I needed him to change the baby. That's when I remembered. The water. Something has happened to him! Damn you Nestle! It must all be their fault.

<< Home