Thursday, December 15, 2005

Note to self.

When your infant is sick: Do not type "infant fever arching back" into the search box on yahoo (or google if you prefer). It may cause you to have an irrational fear that your baby has meningitis.

After roughly two hours of trying to get Iris to bed all the while she was screaming and arching her back with her low grade fever, Chris got her to sleep. ( run-on sentence) For the last stage he sent me downstairs to eat dinner while he rocked her. I ate and cringed while listening to the baby monitor on low. Shortly after we went to bed with our stomachs still full, which always feels so gross. She was up again at 12:30am, 3:45am and sort of at 7:45am, but I brought her into our bed and she slept for another hour. I forget which time it was... either 12:30 or 3:45 . This is when she started out with the usual whiny "I'm awake and need your help to get back to sleep" cry. Chris went in to try giving her her pacifier and I guess picked her up after I told him I'd be right into feed her. She started in with the most awful crying/ screaming I have ever heard in my life. I can't even describe it. The sort of thing you'd expect if someone were sawing off her arms and legs all at once. I thought my baby was dying... Then Chris passed her to me and I fed her and she was ok. She relaxed and snuggled in and we were able to put her down without any problems. I believe she stayed asleep after she stopped eating.

I am so glad that night is over. She seems fine now, although she was fine last night till we went to put her down to bed. I guess I'll chalk it up to the fever and hope it never happens again.

<< Home