Saturday, October 16, 2004

Running with scissors

That's the name of a book I just read by Augusten Buroughs ( hope that's how to spell it). It's a memoir about his rather odd childhood. It was in a style I like, easy to read, conversational style. How I think I would write if I wrote a book. Hrm, I think My life may be interesting enough to write a book about it. If only I could find the time. Which brings me to my other reason for todays title. I feel like I'm in a race as well, a race against the weather. I have SO much freaking stuff to do outside still. ( planting bulbs etc)

It's COLD today. the low is below freezing, it may even snow ( i won't allow it) I abhor the snow, except maybe for the first one. Well, that's not all true either. I like how it looks when it's fresh and, on the other side of a window. I like the sound it makes when you are walking in it. That squeak, or crunch. It's... magic? I mostly dislike snow when I have to try and walk in in quickly, and when it starts to melt. There is nothing more gross than slush, especially slush with a bunch of sand and gravel in it. Plus all the nasty stuff that appears once the snow is gone and the winter's litter is on display. ( oh, the nasty smell too)

On Wednesday I was trespassing on the empty lot between me and the yucky house on the other side. I found a sort of sunken area with a lot of old broken glass. To me this is the best thing in the world- a chance to play backyard archaeologist. Ever since my first time watching indiana jones I have been facinated with old stuff ( Chris says this is why I married him) The best part is finding the old stuff. Excavating it. I got a bucket from the house and a gardening tool and began. I only spent anout half an hour out there, tresspassing its self freaks me out, I'm kind a rule/ law freak. Basically I got all the broken parts that were visible and now I need to go back with shovel and a hand broom to brush dirt away. If there are any whole bottles there, I am going to find them! I really need to find out were the outhouse was on my lot and dig there. Privy digging often reveals the best old bottles. (or so I have read) Seriously, this kind of thing makes me so happy I get dizzy. Some of my most fond memories are taking my best friend Sharilyn to Edgewood ( another story in its self) and picking up the broken stuff on the beach and again in Edgewood with my mom. With Mom we found an actual trash pile and dug it out. We found an intact teapot (no lid) and like 20 whole old bottles. ( inks, medicines, household) The whole ones I just like to have near windows with light shining through them. The broken things I make art out of. I made 3 lightboxes filled with old glass and sand, they were really cool. My mom has them at her house right now. basically I filled the space with the glass and the poured sand in. It partially obscured the glass, sort of imitating how the shards are when I find them ( or how i see them) peeking through, and glowing.

Wow, talking about that stuff sure takes up a lot of room. I have been without a space to make art for SO LONG. I hope that we can finish the attic someday or build a garage with a second floor for me to have a place. A proper table and a place where I don't have to clean up ( like the coffee table) because we also use it for daily living.

Well, I should get ready for my day. I have 5 hours of work, and then box office for a Beatles tribute band tonight. I may or may not stay for the show ( I get comps cause I'm a SUPER VOLUNTEER) We'll see how tired Chris is.

~till next time.

<< Home